I love my toaster oven. It does everything for me: cook, bake, toast, and warm up oh so many dishes for my dinner party of one. I find using my big oven cumbersome and energy-wasting if I need to make a small dish for one person. My friends laugh at me when I tell them that it took nearly a year before I turned on my oven at my place. Not because I don’t know how to use it, it’s just I never had to turn on that switch. One of my favourite toaster oven creations is kale chips. Currently I have a ‘healthy’ (har har) obsession with kale chips and I put it in a lot of my dishes for the extra crunch. So here’s my ‘under 15 mins’ recipe on how to make kale chips a la toaster oven.
2-3 or more Kale leaves (buy the Kale type with the big leaves)
1 table spoon of Olive oil
Ground pepper and/or Chilli flakes
1) Preheat toaster oven to 400°F. With my toaster oven, I make sure my rack is placed at the top level & the settings are turned to broil
2) As oven is heating up, rinse and dry the kale, then remove the stems and tough ribs
3) Cut into large pieces, toss with olive oil in a bowl then very lightly sprinkle with salt, pepper, and chilli flake
4) Arrange leaves in a single layer baking sheet that fits the toaster oven
5) Bake for about 5 minutes, or until crisp. You know it’s crispy when they look a bit shrivelled up and the edges start to brown a bit
Other types of seasonings I’ve used:
Sesame oil instead of Olive oil
These are great healthy alternatives to potato chips and easy to make. Enjoy!