I made this earlier in the summer when I started to run more and needed more protein as I don’t eat a lot of meat and eggs. Spelt and kamut are super grains that are packed with vitamins and nutrients so it’s beneficial for you to eat it after a workout. I made a very simple version as my base so I could add other ingredients to mix it up afterwards.
1/2 cup spelt
1/2 cup kamut
1/2 cup dried cranberries
4 tablespoons finely diced red onions
1 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar (or can try with red wine or apple vinegar)
1/2 tablespoon honey (or adjust accordingly on how sweet you like it)
3/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 tablespoons shallots
Pinch of salt
Best to soak the spelt and kamut overnight then rinse before you cook it
1) Bring about 4 cups of water to a boil, add the Spelt and Kamut, return to boil
2) Reduce the heat to low and let it simmer the kernals are tender (about 45-60 minutes)
3) Drain well and set aside to cool
4) Mix well the dressing ingredients
5) When the spelt & Kamut are at room temperature mix in the cranberries
6) Pour and mix the dressing with the ingredients then refrigerate overnight.
For Step 5, here’s my recommended additions to the salad: raisins, cilantro, chopped grapes, pine nuts, corn, sunflower seed, red and green pepper and/or cucumber.
If you want the salad to be more on the savoury side, don’t use the honey and use balsamic vinegar instead. And also try adding feta to it.
That’s it and enjoy!