You might have noticed that I’ve been posting / tweeting / Instagramming more of my cooking. Since I’ve switched to a great flexible fun job at the beginning of year, I have had more energy and time to go back to ‘real’ cooking. What I really enjoy doing is to check out what I have in my cupboards or fridge, and try to figure out what I can whip up. And sometimes I go into the Pinterest / Food Sites / Recipe book rabbit hole to get inspired. This simple spicy roasted chickpeas was born out of my thought combination of ‘I want a snack’ and ‘I’m tired of making hummus’ and getting lost in the the Pinterest / Food sites rabbit hole.
1 regular can of chickpeas
1 tablespoon olive oil or grapeseed oil
1/2 teaspoon of salt or sea salt (I used smoked sea salt)
1/2 teaspoon of ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon of paprika (optional but adds a nice smoky taste to it)
Optional: chilli flakes (I like my heat) and/or 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
1) Crank up the oven to 450 degrees F and line a rimmed baking sheet or pan with aluminum foil.
2) Drain and rinse chickpeas well and put them in a bowl.
3) Add the ingredients and chickpeas together and mix well. Spread them evenly on baking sheet in one layer.
4) Carefully place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes. It should start having this golden colour.
5) Remove pan from the oven and use a wooden spoon to shake around the chickpeas and return to oven for maybe another 10-15 minutes. Keep your eye on it until it’s a golden brown colour
That’s it and enjoy!