Super easy and healthy as a snack or as breakfast on the go. Or in my case, a lazy alternative to help me get full when I’m too busy for breakfast, lunch (or even dinner ;-)
Ingredients (makes about 12)
3 cups old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup cane sugar (preferrably light brown sugar)
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 egg whites
1 1/4 cup of light milk (ie skim, soy, rice, etc)
3/4 to 1 cup of mashed ripe bananas
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup crushed walnuts
1/3 cup of brown sugar
2 tablespoon of all purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon of butter
1) Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly mist muffin tin with cooking spray / butter / etc.
2) Thoroughly mix the oats, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
3) In another bowl, whisk together the egg whites, egg, mashed banana, milk and vanilla. Add to the dry ingredients and stir until blended together. Mix in the walnuts.
4) Spoon the mixture evenly between the prepared muffin cups.
5) For the crumble, in a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, 2 tablespoons flour and cinnamon. Cut in 1 tablespoon butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Then sprinkle topping over muffins. (Please don’t be like me and forget to actually top the muffins with the crumble :-(
6) Bake uncovered for 18 to 22 minutes or until oatmeal is lightly browned and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean
That’s it and enjoy!