On Sunday, I hosted a mini Oscar viewing party of sorts (all of +1 lol). The Chinese perfectionist over-achiever side didn’t want to settle with just popcorn, chips, and pop. My ideas for the spread grew and grew and grew and then Sunday while I was at Granville Island I knew I had to shrink my menu. After a couple of hours at Granville Island shopping and waiting at Oyama, I got a little treat at Edible in the form of a caesar with candied bacon (yum!).
The spread that I finished with and instagrammed took only about 1 hour to put together with some good rushing around.
This is what we had on Oscar Sunday
- Wines: Blasted Church’s 2011 Big Bang Theory, Inniskillin 2008 Sangiovese, and D’Angelo 2006 Coppa
- Kale and mixed green salad with homemade creamy dressing (recipe below)
- Crudites with homemade dip (recipe below)
- Whole wheat pasta with olives, capers and pine nuts (recipe below)
Cheese and Meat platter
- Cheeses and meats from Oyama:
i) Goat cheddar , goat, oka, belgian beer cheeses
ii) Duck proscuitto and some sort of spicy salami
- Vegan mushroom pate from Pastiche Food and Concepts (which I got when I was at the Vancouver Winter Farmers Market)
- Chicken liver pate from Choices Market
- 2 different types of olive oil with balsamic vinegar
- Blueberry Honey from Chilliwack River Valley
- Henderson Farm’s Wild Dandelion wine jelly
- grapes, and sliced apple and pear (this is where I sliced my finger on the damn mandoline)
Yogurt Salad dressing
• 2 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
• 2 tablespoon of olive oil
• 1 clove garlic, pressed
• Salt and Pepper to taste
• 1/2 tablespoon of Dijon mustard
• 1/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt
Yogurt Dill Dip
• 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
• 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
• 2 teaspoon of dill
• dashes of garlic powder
• Salt and pepper
Pasta with capers, olives, and pine nuts
• 3 – 4 tablespoons of olive oil
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 tablespoon of pine nuts
• 1/3 cup of black olives, sliced
• 3 Tablespoons capers, rinsed, minced
• 1 Tablespoon basil, cut into chiffonade
• 1 teaspoon oregano, minced
• 1 teaspoon thyme, minced
• 1 pound pasta, any shape
• salt and pepper to taste
• 1 teaspoon chilli flakes (optional)
• 2 tablesppon Parmesan cheese
- Combine the butter with the olive oil and heat over medium heat in a large pan.
- Add the garlic and pine nuts, reduce the heat to low, and continue to cook until the nuts turns light golden in color. Add the olives, capers, basil, oregano, parsley, salt, and pepper. Toss until everything is mixed well and heated thoroughly.
- Cook the pasta in a large saucepot of boiling salted water until al dente. Drain well. Toss the drained pasta with the mixture over medium heat until the products are incorporated and heated thoroughly. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Sprinkle each portion with grated Parmesan cheese.
And yes, there’s tons of leftovers which equals to gourmet lunches.
126 – 1689 Johnson St